Monday, December 28, 2015

Saying bye 2015!!!

CELTA CUENCA 2015

Graduation Fashion Design 2014, after presenting my thesis/book.

Since I decided to become an English teacher, the way has been full of unexpected challenges. Having my CELTA done in the period I did it was one of the most remarkable aspects of the year, the sensation was at the same level of my graduation day when I got my associates degree in Fashion Design. When I was over my CELTA, I knew it was only the top ob the iceberg.  The path of an English teacher involves many aspects:
  • Knowledge of the language.
  • Knowledge of teaching techniques. 
  • Constant research and updates.
  • Finding the right balance between being a people person and a person who inspires respect.
  • Make English approachable and fun to students.
  • A lot of extra work without being paid for it (lesson planning is not necessary included in the working hours paid, nor extra paperwork such as correcting tests, registering grades).
  • Be ready to deal with the system failures. Depending on the place you are working in, you are suppose to fix whatever problem that might come out along the way (e.g. 50 students per classroom, sticking to poorly developed English syllabus with not much flexibility, unknown classroom conditions). Teachers are expected to give results under conditions that people hardly understand.
  • Being a psycologist also is a part of the package. One has to be emphatic to what happens in the classroom.
  • A lot of things I do not know yet because of my 'limited' experience on the field!
If I knew what teaching was all about at first glance, I probably would have thought it through... in any case, this self discovery has been an interesting process.
There are lots of things to be done, however, I am willing to go through this path wherever it leads. Thanks for joining me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanx for your comment! :D